Along the Olive Path
Along the Olive Path
Elias had always preferred walking at night. Something about the hush that settled over the hills after sunset made the world feel honest. In daylight, everything demanded something from him—the farm, the neighbors, the endless list of repairs, the memories he tried not to think about. But at night, the world asked nothing. It simply existed, and he could simply exist with it. Tonight, though, the quiet felt heavier. He walked along the narrow path that wound through the old olive grove behind his family’s land. The trees were ancient—gnarled, twisted, and stubborn, like elders who had seen too much to be impressed by anything new. His father used to say the grove was older than the town itself, older than the stone chapel on the hill, older even than the stories people told about the valley. Elias used to believe him. Now he wasn’t sure he believed much of anything. He stopped beside the largest tree, the one with a trunk so wide it took three grown men to wrap their arms around it. Its branches arched overhead like a cathedral ceiling. Moonlight filtered through the leaves, scattering silver across the ground. He leaned against the trunk and closed his eyes. “Not as I will,” he whispered into the night, “but as You will.” The words felt foreign in his mouth. He had said them a thousand times growing up in church, at meals, during storms when the roof rattled, and his mother prayed aloud. But tonight, they felt like stones. Heavy. Hard. Unyielding. He wasn’t sure he meant them. He wasn’t sure he could.
Elias had always been the dependable one. The one who stayed. The one who didn’t leave town for college or chase dreams across the country. The one who took over the farm when his father’s health declined. The one who held everything together when his mother passed unexpectedly two years later. Everyone praised him for it. “You’re so strong, Elias.” “Your parents would be proud.” “You’re doing the right thing.” But no one asked if he wanted to be strong. No one asked if he wanted to stay. No one asked if he even could keep going. And he never volunteered the truth. He didn’t know how. Tonight, though, the truth pressed against his ribs like a trapped bird. He slid down the trunk until he was sitting on the cool earth. The olive leaves rustled overhead, whispering secrets he couldn’t quite hear. “I can’t do this anymore,” he said softly. The words surprised him. He hadn’t planned to say them. But once they were out, they felt like a dam breaking. “I can’t keep pretending I’m fine. I can’t keep carrying everything alone. I can’t keep living like this.” His voice cracked. “I don’t know what to do.” The night didn’t answer. But something shifted—not in the air, but in him. A loosening. A trembling. A sense that maybe, just maybe, he didn’t have to hold everything so tightly.
He didn’t hear footsteps. He didn’t hear anything at all until a voice spoke from the darkness. “You’re not meant to carry it alone.” Elias jolted upright, heart pounding. A figure stepped into the moonlight—a woman, maybe in her thirties, wearing a long coat and carrying a walking stick. Her hair was pulled back, and her eyes were steady, calm, almost luminous. “Sorry,” she said, raising a hand. “I didn’t mean to startle you.” “You didn’t,” Elias lied. She smiled slightly, as if she knew. “This path is beautiful at night,” she said, looking around the grove. “I walk it whenever I’m passing through.” He frowned. “I’ve lived here my whole life. I’ve never seen you.” “I’m not from here,” she said. “But I come along this way when I need to think.” Strangers didn’t usually wander the grove at night. “You looked like someone who needed company,” she added gently. “I’m fine,” he said automatically. She raised an eyebrow. “Are you?” He opened his mouth to insist again—but the words stuck. Something about her presence made lying feel pointless. “No,” he admitted. “I’m not.” She nodded, as if she’d expected that. “Walk with me?” He hesitated. But the alternative was sitting alone with thoughts that felt too heavy. “Okay.” They began walking along the path, the moon guiding their steps.
They walked in silence for a while. Elias found it strangely comforting—the kind of silence that didn’t demand anything. Finally, the woman spoke. “You said you don’t know what to do.” He exhaled slowly. “I don’t.” “About the farm?” “About everything.” She nodded thoughtfully. “And you asked for guidance.” He blinked. “How did you—?” “You said it aloud,” she reminded him gently. “‘Not as I will…’” He flushed. “I didn’t think anyone heard.” “I did,” she said. “And I think Someone else did too.” He looked away. “I’m not sure I believe that anymore.” “That’s alright,” she said. “Belief isn’t a switch. It’s a path. You walk along it, even when you can’t see where it leads.” He swallowed. “I feel like I’ve been walking in circles.” “Maybe you’ve been walking alone.” He didn’t respond. She continued, “Do you know what that verse means? The one you quoted?” He nodded. “It’s about surrender.” “It’s about trust,” she corrected softly. “Trusting that you don’t have to carry everything. Trusting that you’re allowed to rest. Trusting that you’re allowed to ask for help.” He stared at the ground. “I don’t know how.” “You learn,” she said. “One step at a time.”
They reached a clearing where the moonlight pooled like water. The woman stopped and leaned on her walking stick. “Let me tell you a story,” she said. Elias almost laughed. “I’m not really in the mood for stories.” “This one is for you,” she said simply. He sighed. “Alright.” She looked up at the sky. “There was once a man who carried a burden he didn’t choose. A burden so heavy it pressed the breath from his lungs. He didn’t want it. He didn’t ask for it. He even begged for it to be taken from him.” Elias felt a chill. “But in the end,” she continued, “he said, ‘Not as I will, but as You will.’ And do you know what happened?” Elias shook his head. “He wasn’t left alone. Strength came. Help came. And though the path ahead was hard, he didn’t walk it by himself.” Elias swallowed. “You’re talking about Jesus.” “I’m talking about anyone who has ever felt overwhelmed,” she said. “Anyone who has ever felt like the weight was too much. Anyone who has ever whispered those words in the dark.” He looked at her, really looked at her. “Why are you telling me this?” “Because you think surrender means giving up,” she said. “But it means letting Someone walk along with you.”
They continued walking until they reached the edge of the grove. The fields stretched out before them, silver under the moon. Elias stopped. “I don’t know how to let go,” he said quietly. “I don’t know how to stop trying to control everything.” “You start by admitting you can’t,” she said. He closed his eyes. “I can’t.” “Good,” she said. “Now say the rest.” He shook his head. “I don’t know the rest.” She stepped closer, her voice soft but steady. “Say: ‘I can’t do this alone.’” His throat tightened. “I can’t do this alone,” he whispered. “Again.” “I can’t do this alone.” “Again.” “I can’t—” His voice broke. “I can’t do this alone.” And suddenly he was crying—not the quiet, controlled tears he’d allowed himself over the years, but deep, shaking sobs that came from a place he’d buried long ago. The woman didn’t touch him, didn’t interrupt, didn’t offer platitudes. She simply stood beside him, letting him unravel. When the sobs finally subsided, he felt hollow—but lighter. Like something had been lifted.
When he finally looked up, the woman was watching him with gentle eyes. “You were never meant to carry it all,” she said. “Not the grief. Not the responsibility. Not the fear.” He wiped his face. “Then what am I supposed to do?” “Walk,” she said. “One step at a time. And let others walk along with you.” He shook his head. “I don’t know who would.” “You’ll be surprised,” she said. “People want to help. They just need to know you need it.” He exhaled shakily. “I don’t know where to start.” “Start with the truth,” she said. “Tell someone how you feel. Ask for help. Let yourself be human.” He nodded slowly. “And remember,” she added, “surrender isn’t weakness. It’s trust.”
They walked back toward the grove. When they reached the great olive tree, the woman stopped. “This is where I leave you,” she said. He frowned. “You’re not coming back?” “I walk many paths,” she said. “But you’ll be alright.” He wasn’t sure he believed that—but he wanted to. “Thank you,” he said. She smiled. “You’re welcome.” He turned to look toward the fields for just a moment—and when he turned back, she was gone. No footsteps. No rustling leaves. Nothing. Just the moonlight and the ancient tree.
Elias woke early the next morning. The air was crisp, the sky pale with dawn. He walked to the kitchen and stared at the phone on the counter. He thought of the woman’s words. Start with the truth. His hands trembled slightly as he dialed his sister’s number. When she answered, he didn’t pretend. He didn’t say he was fine. He didn’t hide behind strength. He told her everything. And she didn’t judge him. She didn’t scold him. She didn’t tell him to toughen up. She said, “Elias… why didn’t you tell me sooner? I’ll come help. You don’t have to do this alone.” He felt something warm bloom in his chest. Later that day, he told his neighbor he needed help repairing the barn roof. The neighbor showed up with tools and a smile. He told the pastor he was struggling. The pastor listened without interruption. He told himself it was okay to rest. And he did. One step at a time.
Weeks passed. The farm didn’t magically fix itself. His grief didn’t vanish. His responsibilities didn’t disappear. But he wasn’t carrying them alone anymore. And every evening, he walked along the olive path. Sometimes he prayed. Sometimes he simply breathed. Sometimes he whispered the words that had once felt impossible: “Not as I will, but as You will.” And each time, they felt a little less like stones. A little more like surrender. A little more like trust. One night, as he stood beneath the great olive tree, he felt a breeze stir the leaves. It brushed against his skin like a gentle hand. He smiled. He wasn’t alone. Not anymore. Not ever again.
Comments