The One Who Stood Apart
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
The One Who Stood Apart
Inspired by Hebrews 7:16
The rain had not stopped for three days.
It fell in a quiet, steady curtain over the small town of Ashton Ridge, turning the streets silver and the fields beyond the church into a blur of gray and green. Most people stayed inside. Lights glowed behind windows. Coffee brewed in kitchens. The world slowed to a patient hush.
Inside the old stone church at the corner of Maple and Third, Pastor Daniel Mercer sat alone in the front pew.
He had not turned on the sanctuary lights. Only the soft glow from a single lamp near the pulpit illuminated the room. The stained-glass windows darkened the afternoon sky into deep shades of blue and crimson.
Daniel leaned forward, elbows on his knees, a Bible open in his hands.
His eyes rested on a single verse.
“Such a high priest truly meets our need—one who is holy, blameless, pure, set apart from sinners, exalted above the heavens.”
—Hebrews 7:26
He read the words again.
Holy.
Blameless.
Pure.
Set apart.
Daniel sighed.
He had preached from this verse dozens of times. But today the words felt heavier, almost uncomfortable. The distance between what Christ was and what Daniel felt himself to be seemed impossibly wide.
The church door creaked open behind him.
Daniel turned.
Old Mr. Walter Hayes stepped inside, shaking rain from his hat.
Walter had attended Ashton Ridge Church longer than anyone alive. His back was bent with age, but his eyes still carried the calm clarity of someone who had walked a long road with God.
“Afternoon, Pastor,” Walter said quietly.
Daniel smiled faintly. “I didn’t expect anyone today.”
Walter hung his coat on the rack near the door.
“Figured I’d stop by. Rain makes a man thoughtful.”
He shuffled slowly down the aisle and sat beside Daniel.
For a moment neither of them spoke.
Then Walter glanced at the open Bible.
“Hm. Hebrews.”
Daniel nodded.
“Seven twenty-six.”
Walter leaned closer to read.
After a moment he smiled.
“That’s a good one.”
Daniel closed the Bible halfway.
“Is it?”
Walter looked at him curiously.
“Why wouldn’t it be?”
Daniel hesitated before answering.
“Because I don’t feel like I belong anywhere near a verse like that.”
Walter raised an eyebrow.
Daniel rubbed his temples.
“I’m supposed to represent Christ to people,” he said quietly. “Teach them. Lead them. But look at what it says Christ is.”
He gestured toward the page.
“Holy. Blameless. Pure.”
Daniel shook his head.
“I’m none of those things.”
The rain tapped softly against the windows.
Walter leaned back in the pew.
“You know,” he said slowly, “that verse isn’t about you.”
Daniel gave a tired laugh.
“I know that.”
“Do you?”
Walter’s voice was gentle but firm.
“Because if you think it’s about measuring yourself against Jesus, you’ve missed the whole point.”
Daniel looked at him.
Walter pointed to the Bible.
“That verse exists because we aren’t holy, blameless, or pure.”
Daniel frowned slightly.
Walter continued.
“Think about the priests of Israel. They were men like everyone else. They sinned. They struggled. They had to offer sacrifices for themselves before they could offer sacrifices for others.”
He tapped the page.
“But Jesus?”
Walter smiled softly.
“He stands apart.”
Daniel listened.
Walter spoke slowly, almost like someone remembering a long story.
“Holy. That means completely devoted to God. No divided heart.”
“Blameless. Nothing anyone could accuse Him of that would stick.”
“Pure. No hidden corruption. No secret sin.”
Walter paused.
“And set apart from sinners.”
Daniel stared at the floor.
“That’s the one that bothers me,” he admitted.
Walter tilted his head.
“Why?”
“Because Jesus spent so much time with sinners.”
Walter chuckled quietly.
“Exactly.”
Daniel looked up.
Walter continued.
“He ate with them. Walked with them. Forgave them. Touched the lepers. Defended the outcasts.”
Walter leaned forward.
“And yet He never became one of them.”
Daniel thought about that.
Walter smiled again.
“That’s what makes Him the High Priest we need.”
The rain outside softened.
Daniel stared again at the verse.
“Exalted above the heavens,” he whispered.
Walter nodded.
“Meaning His authority doesn’t come from earth.”
The sanctuary grew still.
Finally Daniel asked quietly, “Walter… have you ever felt like you didn’t belong in church?”
Walter laughed—a deep, warm sound.
“Son, I spent forty years feeling like that.”
Daniel looked surprised.
Walter rested his hands on the pew in front of him.
“When I was younger, I made a lot of mistakes.”
He spoke calmly, without embarrassment.
“I drank too much. Hurt people I loved. Nearly destroyed my marriage.”
Daniel listened closely.
“One night,” Walter continued, “I wandered into this church drunk. Sat in the back row.”
He pointed toward the rear of the sanctuary.
“I figured lightning might strike me.”
Daniel smiled faintly.
“But the pastor preached about Jesus.”
Walter looked at the cross hanging above the pulpit.
“And he said something I never forgot.”
Daniel waited.
Walter spoke softly.
“‘Jesus is the priest who can stand before God without shame—and bring sinners with Him.’”
The words lingered in the quiet room.
Walter turned to Daniel.
“That’s what Hebrews seven twenty-six means.”
Daniel felt something shift in his chest.
Walter continued.
“Jesus isn’t distant from sinners because He’s proud.”
“He’s separate from sin so He can rescue us from it.”
Daniel leaned back in the pew.
For the first time that day, the verse felt less like an accusation and more like an invitation.
The church door opened again.
A young woman stepped inside, her coat soaked from the rain.
She hesitated when she saw the two men.
“Sorry,” she said nervously. “I didn’t know anyone was here.”
Daniel stood.
“You’re welcome here.”
She stepped forward slowly.
“I… I just needed somewhere quiet.”
Walter nodded kindly.
“Churches are good for that.”
The woman looked around the sanctuary, then at the cross.
“I’m not really a church person,” she admitted.
Daniel smiled gently.
“Most of us weren’t at first.”
She hesitated again before speaking.
“I messed up pretty badly.”
Walter whispered to Daniel, “See? Rain brings people in.”
Daniel tried not to smile.
The woman continued.
“I thought maybe I could sit here for a while.”
Daniel gestured toward the pew.
“Of course.”
She sat a few rows behind them.
Silence returned to the room.
After a few minutes the woman spoke again.
“Can I ask something?”
Daniel turned.
“Sure.”
She pointed toward the pulpit.
“Do you think God actually forgives people?”
Daniel glanced down at the Bible still open beside him.
Hebrews 7:26.
He thought about Walter’s story.
Then he answered slowly.
“Yes.”
She looked unconvinced.
“What if the thing you did was really bad?”
Walter spoke up before Daniel could respond.
“That’s why Jesus exists.”
The woman looked confused.
Walter pointed to the Bible.
“There’s a verse here about Him.”
Daniel read it aloud.
“Such a high priest truly meets our need—one who is holy, blameless, pure, set apart from sinners, exalted above the heavens.”
The woman frowned.
“That sounds like someone who wouldn’t want anything to do with people like me.”
Walter shook his head.
“No.”
He leaned forward.
“That’s someone who can carry people like you all the way to God.”
The woman stared at the cross again.
Tears filled her eyes.
“I don’t think I deserve that.”
Daniel spoke gently.
“No one does.”
The rain stopped outside.
A beam of sunlight slipped through the stained-glass window, casting warm colors across the floor.
Walter smiled.
“Look at that.”
Daniel glanced at the verse again.
For the first time he understood its quiet power.
Christ was not holy instead of sinners.
Christ was holy for sinners.
Blameless for the guilty.
Pure for the broken.
Set apart so He could bring the lost home.
Daniel closed the Bible slowly.
The woman whispered, “Do you think He would accept me?”
Walter answered without hesitation.
“He already has.”
The sanctuary filled with light.
And for the first time that long rainy afternoon, Daniel Mercer felt ready to preach Hebrews 7:26 again.
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Comments